Something really weird has happened over the past few months…they’ve just disappeared! I swear I was counting down to “100 days to go” for the wedding for like 10 years, then within about 3 seconds, it’s only 2 months away. I also used to chuckle at the people who talked about having wedding dreams and nightmares, thinking that would never happen to me…but the nightmares are real people! Just two nights ago, I was in a wedding dress with no shoes, no hair, no make up and having to have our wedding in the centre of a town. Then Cinderella turned up and I had no photographer to take a picture of me with her and my bridesmaids refused to do so… It was a very serious matter.
Anyway, despite the occasional nightmare, the planning is actually going pretty well. I feel like “planning” isn’t quite the right word for it any more – it was planning up until about 10 months to go, whereas now it’s “organisation”. Everything is booked, everything is sorted, we just need to all put it into place now. Is it just me or is wedding planning a lot of waiting around?!
In the past couple of months, we’ve had meetings galore! Here’s a quick run down:
- Catering: we decided on all our food, drinks, canapes, evening food and timings.
- Venue: we had another walk around the venue, checked out where things like plug sockets were and where the marquee can be set up.
- Marquee: at the venue – we met the marquee company to discuss the layout and set up.
- Band: we met my sister-in-law-to-be’s friend who is in charge of the band to talk through set lists, timings and ceremony music.
- Flowers: we met Jane, my mum’s friend (and friend’s mum!), who’s doing the flowers. I had NO idea on this so it was amazing to have her take us through it all properly.
I also had a full scale Bridesmaids’ Day! We managed to get all my bridesmaids together on one day (a feat in itself!) for hair trials and wedmin fun! There’s a bit of a story behind it which I won’t share in full now, but basically, I have to have my hair set so I was sitting under a giant setting machine while my bridesmaids learned how to make cranes when the final bridesmaid came rushing in with some big news – essentially, I was required down at the hospital (all good news, don’t worry!) so I had to leave the others at my house making cranes for most of the afternoon once my hair was finished! Between them, they managed to knock a good chunk out of the 1000 we need!
There are other smaller bits that we’ve been working on recently too that are ready to go:
- Table names: I won’t reveal until the big day what these look like, but we needed frames and some imagery printing for this.
- Candy bar: oh yes, we’re having a candy bar!! And it turns out that you definitely don’t need 3kg of Haribo Hearts and 3kg of Jelly Beans amongst other sweets for the number of jars we have…
- Wedding party gifts: almost there with these!
- Wedding lingerie: I’ve been REALLY struggling over this (and writing about it at BCLC) but I’ve found my unicorn! I’m so excited to share the set I’ve got after the wedding!
- Wedding rings: these caused me quite a bit of stress for some reason – I guess because they’re the part of the wedding that we take away and live with every day for the rest of our lives – but we’ve found our rings finally.
But there are plenty of things still to do – here’s another bullet pointed run down!
- Organise the groom and groomsmen (because they can’t do it themselves!): I ended up choosing the top halves of their outfits, but they need to get the bottom halves still: trousers and shoes at the very least!
- Finalise wedding party gifts: I’ve done most of this, but there are still a couple to sort.
- Make up trial: I had to postpone my make up trial so I need to rearrange a date for that.
- Photographer meeting: we need to speak to our photographer again to finalise details.
- Finalise the decor: I’ve got a couple of these style of wooden signs coming from Signomatic that I’ve designed myself. I’d been looking at ready-made ones online but none suited exactly what I wanted, so I was really pleased to be introduced to this site. I’ll share these with you either once they arrive or after the wedding when they’ve been used in the decor. I’m really excited for these!
- Get on with some more DIY: we’ve got a couple of peg board style signs for the entrance to the ceremony room, but we also need to do the table seating chart. (Fortunately I think we’ve got the seating plan down!).
- And of course…finish the cranes! I’ve got 5 bridesmaids on the task and a couple of work friends, in addition to spending all my free time folding paper! But then we need to hang them…
And finally, I’ve been invited to my hen party! My wonderful bridesmaids arranged a surprise for me – while I was getting my hair done, Fran snuck outside and rang the doorbell. Behind the door was a huge box which I opened to reveal a big heart balloon that floated up to the ceiling with the invitation attached! All I know is that when it is (the first weekend in May) and that I’ll need a tiara, a 1920s Gatsby inspired outfit, and some comfy yoga wear and a yoga mat – so excited!!