I came across a sewing pattern for a cape, McCalls 3542, in a local charity shop for 50p back in March but decided to stash it away until the weather got a bit cooler and I’d actually need to wear one. So finally a couple of weeks ago, I pulled the pattern back out again and decided to start working on it. After a bit of research, I found that the pattern was from 1973 (one available on Etsy here), so an authentically vintage 70s one just perfect for the 70s trend that’s in this season. I didn’t think I was really a fan of 70s fashion…that was until I realised that it actually works perfectly with my love of burnt autumnal colours, so I’ve ended up with various 70s inspired pieces, including a few skirts, a gorgeous orange roll neck top, and a big floppy hat. I did intend to wear that for these photos, but Ben vetoed it – apparently he’s already embarrassed enough to be seen with me in a cape, my response? Oh well!
So I was expecting this pattern to be really complicated, because it’s a cape – capes sound difficult, right? In fact, I should have taken my cue from the pattern envelope which states EASY, as it actually was that. When I sew commercially available patterns, I tend to do a quick Google search beforehand to see how they’ve turned out for others, to get a bit of inspiration on how mine will look and to see if there are any difficult areas. This one was a bit tough to find though as it’s an old one, but I did find Vix at Vintage Vixen had sewn up a gorgeous version of the View C capelet out of an old bed cover – amazing! I decided to go with View B though, and note this view comes with a matching skirt – I chose not to make this (mostly because I didn’t have enough fabric), but one day I think I will.
One minor issue with the sewing pattern for me though…it was a size large, bust 38-40, whereas I’m generally a small or occasionally a medium. I decided that it probably didn’t matter as it was a cape, meant to be worn over bulky winter items, and probably wouldn’t be too obvious if it was a bit big. In the end, I also was a bit generous with the seams too which probably took it down at least another size. It mostly just means that the cape is a bit fuller than it’s intended to be, but that’s more fun anyway!
So a few more pictures, then onto more details about the construction:
As I mentioned, it turned out that the cape was actually fairly simple to put together, made up of 4 panels plus facings for the collarless neckline and interfacing along the inside facings. It also has slits for the arms between the first two panels on each side, and cleverly I decided that these two panels would be an excellent opportunity to try out French seams for the first time – yeh, that didn’t go so well, mostly due to the fact that the slits have a funny little facing that turns to the inside that got a little bit caught up in the French seam, but nevertheless, I figured it out and now know I can do French seams!
The collarless facing section did present me with a couple of difficulties though in terms of pattern reading, mostly because of the old fashioned language and slightly confusing diagrams. Not to fear, I was visiting my grandparents that weekend so took the pattern over for my grandma to take a look at, and between us we figured it out – it was actually really simple once you’d figured out what the diagram was showing you, as is always the case!
And finally, how cute are the little buttons?! I was planning to go for big stand out buttons, but I came across these in my favourite little vintage shop in Bakewell and bought them on a whim, only to realise they were the same tartan as the cape fabric, so I just had to use them. I was wary of doing the buttonholes as I’d used my buttonhole foot and auto-stitch thingy on a previous project to varied success, but the weekend before, Charley had asked me to use my sewing machine and auto buttonhole making foot and stitch to help out with some buttonholes she needed doing and we managed to master them then, so it was a breeze doing them on this project. I owe thanks to Charley on that one since I was so wary of it before, but now want to make ALL THE BUTTONHOLES.
The cape pattern isn’t lined as I thought it might be, and my fabric is a little flimsier than most winter-wear would be made from, but it makes a really handy lightweight extra layer at this time of year. Basically, I’m in love with it and wearing it everywhere. Ben on the other hand dislikes it strongly and is embarrassed to go out with me wearing it (I think he wouldn’t mind if it was an occasion I was wearing it for, but I think his issue is that it’s maybe a bit much for local supermarket shopping!), but as I said before, ah well! I’m wearing it with basically everything – over dresses, skirts and jeans, although it does look odd with skirts that are longer than it, so (random fact!) I ended up tucking the dress I was wearing below it in these pictures into my tights so it didn’t look so weird 😀
The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.