4   79
4   67
5   141
9   82
7   133
1   78

Video: Sewing the Cloth Habit Harriet Bra

So I did something exciting and a little bit (okay, a lot!) scary: I filmed a video! An actual video where I talk and am awkward on screen and everything, eek!

I decided this weekend to make another Cloth Habit Harriet bra since I love my last one so much that I’ve already made another (it doesn’t fit quite as well but features at the start of the video), and I decided to test out my new camera (more on this soon, I promise!) by using it to film myself making the bra! I was very nervous as Iย know I’m an awkward person, but I don’t think it wentย too badly in the end. It was quite hard work, especially as my sewing machine wanted to eat my fabric most of the time, but I hope you enjoy this new endeavour!
So without further ado, here’s a video of me making the Cloth Habit Harriet bra:

The kit I used was from Merckwaerdigh, underwires from The Emerald Studio, and pattern, of course, from Cloth Habit.

I’ll probably share more photos of this bra at some point, but what do you think of this new endeavour?! It was actually quite fun to do despite being hard work and I’m thinking I might stick this video thing out and film a few more things. Any requests?!

12 Comments

1. Jeni
    March 5, 2017 / 3:54 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I saw the link in the facebook group. I have been a sewer for years, and have been thinking about bra making for a while. But wondering if I could get it to work for a large cup size. You have shown me it can be done, and you did a wonderful job. Your explanations are good, you gave enough detail without dragging on, thanks again. And you hooked me by talking of the narrow shaped wire, which is something I think I will need. I am now off to research the suppliers you suggested.

• Sian Thomas
      Author
      March 5, 2017 / 10:24 am

I’m so glad you like it, eek! I’m really happy to hear your feedback too that it was useful and that I didn’t talk too much ๐Ÿ˜€ If I do another, I won’t do such a run down of all the components etc. so it’ll be shorter but I thought it would be interesting for the first one – but also glad to hear the narrow wires sound like they’ll work for you – I love them!

2. March 5, 2017 / 12:35 pm

I really enjoyed the video! Love seeing fellow-sewists make beautiful things at home (including everyday obstacles like nosy csts ;-)) , especially daunting clothing items like a bra!

• Sian Thomas
      Author
      March 30, 2017 / 10:01 am

Thank you! Haha I have a lot of cat obstacles in my sewing – one time I had to rush a cat off to the vets after she ate a long strip of my fabric :O

3. Lynsey
    March 5, 2017 / 10:20 pm

Amazing video, you did brilliantly, clear, easy to understand, so helpful and such a super bra. It looks fantastic on and I will check out the suppliers you used too, buying things separately seems to be much harder.

• Sian Thomas
      Author
      March 30, 2017 / 10:02 am

Thank you – I’m so glad to hear that! I tried buying separately at first, but I realised it made things a lot more difficult – I wasn’t sure I was getting the right things and I think it ended up much more expensive, so I love kits now ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Monica
    March 11, 2017 / 3:50 pm

Thanks for the video! I love your fabric choices, the final product is beautiful!

• Sian Thomas
      Author
      March 30, 2017 / 10:05 am

Thank you! I was lucky that the kit included some lovely choices of fabric ๐Ÿ™‚

5. November 20, 2017 / 7:25 am

Really appreciate it.Brilliantly explain with clear video.I love sewing and this gives really nice final outfit.

6. Bonnie
    July 3, 2018 / 4:23 pm

What sewing machine do you use for your lingerie? I have been using my mom’s vintage one but I wanted to get a new one that would be good for lingerie slippery/delicate fabrics. Is there one you would recommend?

• Sian Thomas
      Author
      July 5, 2018 / 2:19 pm

Hi Bonnie! I use the Singer Brilliance 6180 which I bought at Lidl for a very reasonable price. I’ve had the occasional issue with it eating very delicate fabrics, but it’s generally been very good so I would recommend it ๐Ÿ™‚

7. September 7, 2018 / 10:35 am

i still cannot believe people make their own bras!!!!!!! this is so awesome! i really need to learn cuz i can never find a good fit!๏ปฟ